Press Briefing By Directorate Of Defence Media Operations On Armed Forces Of Nigeria’s Military Operations Held At Defence Headquarters New Conference Room On 12 January 2023.
By Helen Udoh – Abuja.
PRESS BRIEFING BY DIRECTORATE OF DEFENCE MEDIA OPERATIONS ON ARMED FORCES OF NIGERIA’S MILITARY OPERATIONS HELD AT DEFENCE HEADQUARTERS NEW CONFERENCE ROOM ON 12 JANUARY 2023
- Good morning senior officers, officers and gentlemen of the press. On behalf of the Chief of Defence Staff, I welcome you all once again to the Defence Headquarters conference room for the biweekly briefing on troops activities and operational successes being recorded in the various operational theaters within the 6 geo-political zones of the Country. In the past 3 weeks, both kinetic and non-kinetic operations were conducted in the various theatres of operations, with significant results recorded. The brief will therefore cover operational activities of the Armed Forces of Nigeria and other security agencies conducted in addressing the various security challenges across the Country between the period of 22 December 2022 – 12 January 2023.
NORTH EAST ZONE
- Troop of Operation HADIN KAI have sustained and continued to dominate their general areas of operation. Operational activities were conducted in villages, forest, mountains, towns and cities of Bama, Gwoza, Konduga, Mafa, Monguno, Biu, Kukawa, Damboa, Ngala, Nganzai, Tarmuwa and Magumeri Local Government Areas as well as Maiduguri metropolitan city of Borno State. Operations were also conducted at Nguru, Karasuwa and Gujba Local Government Areas of Yobe State as well as Madagali and Song Local Government Areas of Adamawa State in the North East region of the country geared toward denying Boko Haram Terrorist/Islamic State of West Africa Province and their other criminal elements freedom of actions and restore normalcy to the zone. Between 23 and 30 December 2022, troops on fighting patrols, ambushed Boko Haram Terrorist/Islamic State of West Africa Province terrorists at different locations within the theatre of operation. During the encounter with the terrorists at Kwatara village in Gwoza Local Government Area of Borno State, following the fire fight troops neutralized 5 terrorists while their admin leader at Guduf identified as Umate Usman was captured with gunshot wounds.
- Troops also had a meeting engagement with terrorist close to their deployment at Ngoshe in Gwoza Local Government Area. During the engagement troops neutralized 5 terrorists while other fled. Troops recovered one AK 47 rifle, 20 rounds of 7.62mm NATO, 10 rounds of locally fabricated 7.62mm special, 10 refilled ammo, 2 hand grenade among other items. Equally, troops made contact with terrorist along Gamboru-Logomani in Ngala Local Government Area. During the encounter, troop neutralized 3 terrorists while other fled with gunshot wounds. Troops exploited the area and recovered 2 AK47 rifles, 1 FN rifle, 1 RPG tube and bomb, 94 rounds of 7.62mm belted NATO, 66 rounds of 7.62mm special, 30 rounds of 5.56mm ammunition and 6 motorcycles. Also, following an encounter with terrorists at Bulge village in Konduga Local Government Area of Borno State, troops neutralized 4 terrorists while other fled. Troops recovered 2 PKT machine guns, 2 FN rifles, 15 rounds of 7.62mm NATO and a belt link containing 60 rounds of 7.62 x 51mm ammunition.
- Furthermore, Troops also had meeting engagement with terrorists while on patrol at Ngalzama village in Gujba Local Government Area of Yobe State and Hymbula in Madagali Local Government Area of Adamawa State. During these encounter troops neutralized 7 terrorists while other fled in disarray. Troops exploited the general areas and recovered 4 locally fabricated AK 47 rifles and 20 rounds of 7.62mm special. Also, on 28 December 2022, troops acting of human intelligence conducted cordon and search operation at a suspected Boko Haram Terrorist/Islamic State of West Africa Province terrorists POL storage point at Gamboru town in Ngala Local Government Area of Borno State. During the operation, troops recovered 19 drums of Automotive Gas Oil and 5 drums of Premium Motor Spirit.
- Also, on 2 January 2023, troops acting on credible information and raided Major Ali village in Gwoza Local Government Area of Borno State. During the operations, the abductors fled on sighting the troops, consequently, troops rescued 35 kidnapped civilians comprising of 7 adult males, 12 adult females and 16 children. Cumulatively, within the last 3 weeks troops recovered 21 AK47 rifles, 4 FN rifles, 3 locally pump made action guns, 5 locally made pistols, 3 PKT machine guns, 124 rounds of 7.62mm NATO, 139 rounds of 7.62mm special, 29 rounds of 5.56mm ammunition, 140mm bomb, 1 UXO 81mm mortar bomb, 3 RPG tubes and bombs, 5 x 36 hand grenade, 5 dane guns and 5 FN magazines. Other items recovered are, 19 drums of Automotive Gas Oil, 5 drums of Premium Motor Spirit, 10 bags of assorted grains, 10 crates of soft drinks, 150 pieces of used clothing, 50 pieces women fabrics, 50 children wear, 30 pairs of women foot wears, textiles materials, medical supplies, 21 motorcycles, 16 bicycles, 2 grinding machines, 1 tanker loaded with Premium Motor Spirit, 30 rustle cattle, the sum of Nine Hundred and Twenty-Eight Thousand, two Hundred and Fifty Naira (N938,580.00) and other sundry items.
- Troops equally neutralized 25 terrorists, arrested 18 terrorists as well as 21 Terrorist logistics suppliers, 2 terrorist foreign informants and 5 kidnappers. Troops also rescued 47 abducted civilians while a total of 377 Boko Haram Terrorist/Islamic State of West Africa Province terrorists and members of their families, comprising of 52 adult males, 126 adult females and 199 children surrendered to troops at different locations within the theatres of operations. All recovered items, apprehended criminals, rescued civilians were handed over to the appropriate authority for further action while the captured terrorists and surrendered Boko Haram Terrorist/Islamic State of West Africa Province terrorists and members of their families are being profiled for further action.
- Equally, the air component of Operation HADIN KAI conducted series of air interdiction operations at terrorists hideout, enclaves and camps. Notably, on 22 December 2022, an air interdiction operation was conducted at terrorists enclaves at Suwa, Arina Woje and Amchile in Marte Local Government Area of Borno State. The battle damage assessment revealed that several terrorists were neutralized with their structures destroyed in the strikes.
- In related development the air component of Operation HADIN KAI conducted air interdiction operation at Mazuri in Southern Lake Chad region and Gabchari located in Gazuwa area of Borno State on the 7 January 2023. The air interdiction operation was conducted base on credible intelligence that revealed that good a numbers of terrorists had relocated to the area following recent flooding of the Tunbuns in the Lake and the current infighting between the terrorist factions. Consequently, the located was bombarded and feedback revealed that scores of the terrorists were neutralized with all their structure destroyed. Similar operation was also carried out at Gabchari located in Gezuwa area following credible information that the location was a Boko Haram hideout. Information revealed that some terrorists who survived the air strikes at Mantari on 20 December 2022 were receiving medical treatment at the location. Accordingly, the location was equally bombarded with confirmed information that several of the terrorists were neutralized in the strikes while their facilities were also destroyed.
NORTH CENTRAL ZONE
- Troops of Operation SAFE HAVEN conducted operational activities in the villages of Riyom, Jos North, Barkin Ladi, Pankshin, Jos South, Mangu Local Government Areas of Plateau State at criminal hideout. Notably, on 22 December 2022 following a tip off, troops in conjunction with Department of State Services operative arrested a notorious gun runner along Kwankonka-Zaria road in Jos North Local Government Area of Plateau State. Items recovered from the suspect include 1 fabricated AK47 rifle, I fabricated pistol, 533 rounds of 7.62mm NATO concealed in a bag of grains and the sum of Seven Thousand, Seven Hundred and Fifty Naira (N7,750.00). Also on 23 December 2022, following a tip off, troops in conjunction with Department of State Service operative intercepted a vehicle and arrested 2 gun runner at Akwanga Local Government Area of Nasarawa State. Equally, on 1 January 2023 troop responded to distress call on the activities of criminals around Naraguta in Jos North Local Government Area of Plateau State and arrested 4 suspects with 2 locally made pistols.
- Also on 31 December 22 troops conducted a follow-up operation following the arrest of a terrorist on 29 December 22 at Kawuri forest in Bwari Area Council of the FCT and recovered 3 burnt AK 47 rifles, 5 burnt AK 47 magazines and some exploded rounds as result of bush buning in the forest. Equally, on 5 Jaunary 2023, troops acted on credible information and arrested a notorious kidnapper, Mr Kabiru Ibrahim who was on the wanted list of troops at Kara market, Bukuru in Jos Local Government Area of Plateau State with the sum of Five Hundred and Twenty-Four Thousand, Six Hundred and Fifty Naira (N524,650.00). It was confirmed that the suspect was responsible for series of kidnapping in Plateau, Toro in Bauchi and Southern part of Kaduna State. Consequently, within the weeks in review, troops recovered 3 fabricated AK47 rifles, 3 burnt AK 47 rifles, 5 burnt AK 47 magazines, 2 fabricated pistols, 1 brownie pistol, 1,335 rounds of 7.62mm NATO and 38 rustled cattle. Troops also neutralized 2 criminals, arrested 22 criminals and rescued 8 kidnapped civilians. All recovered items, apprehended criminals and rescued civilians have been handed over to appropriate authority for further action.
NORTH WEST ZONE
- The land and air component of Operation HADIN DAJI in the North West zone of the country have sustained offensive operation on terrorists enclaves, camps and hideouts within the zone. Between 7 and 8 January 2023 troops conducted dawn attack at terrorists crossing points in Sunke and Gado forest in Anka Local Government Area of Zamfara State. In these operations troops neutralized 10 terrorists, recovered 8 AK47 rifles, 1 FN rifle, 1 PKT machine gun, 1 RPG bombs, 137 rounds of PKT ammunition, 48 rounds of 7.62mm NATO, 2 FN rifle magazines, 12 mobile phones, 1 Toyota Corolla car, 13 motorcycles among others items. Equally, troops apprehended a terrorists collaborator at Madachi in Dandume Local Government Area of Katsina State at a check point with sum of One Million Five Hundred and Ninety Thousand Naira (N1,590,000). The suspect revealed that he was sent by one Nasiru, a notorious terrorist on the wanted list of security agents, responsible for the killing of several locals in Birni Gwari Local Government Area of Kaduna State. Also, troops made contact with terrorists at Doka village in Bukkuyum Local Government Area of Zamfara State. Following the fire fight, troops neutralized 1 terrorist while other fled. Troops also rescued 11 kidnapped victims, earlier abducted by the terrorists.
- Equally, troops in conjunction with the Nigerian Police conducted operational activities in Magama area in Jibia Local Government Area of Katsina State and made contact with the terrorists, following the encounter, 2 terrorists were neutralized while 2 AK47 rifles and 3 magazines loaded with 90 rounds of 7.62mm special and 2 mobile phones among other items were recovered. In the same vein, troops raided identified terrorists hideout behind Olam Farms along Kaduna highway in Chikun Local Government Area of Kaduna State, the criminals fled on sighting own troops, however, troops exploited the general area and recovered 1 pump action rifle, 2 motorcycles, 4 mobile phones and sum of One Hundred and Ten Thousand Naira (N110,000.00) Furthermore, troops conducted operations around Tungan Rafin Toba village in Birin Gwari Local Government Area of Kaduna State on 3 January 2023 and made contact with terrorists on motorcycles. Following a fire fight, troops neutralized 2 terrorists and recovered 2 AK47 rifles, 51 rounds of 7.62mm special, 4 AK47 riles magazines, 5 mobile phones, motorcycles and the sum of Two Hundred and Six thousand Naira (N206,000) among other items.
- Consequently, within the weeks in review, troops in the North West Zone recovered 18 AK47 rifles, 5 dane guns, 1 PKT machine gun, 152 rounds of 7.62mm special, 137 rounds of PKT ammunition, 48 rounds of 7.62mm NATO, 1 RPG 7 bombs, 2 FN rifle magazines, 5 AK47 magazines, 15 mobile phones, 55 motorcycles, 1 Toyota Corolla car and the sum of One Million Nine Hundred and Six Thousand Naira (N1,906,000.00) and 453 rustled cattle. Troops equally neutralized 25 terrorists, arrested 19 terrorist and rescued 68 civilians. All recovered items, apprehended suspects and rescued civilians have been handed over to the appropriate authority for further action.
- Also, between 27 and 31 December 2022, the air component of Operation HADARIN DAJI conducted series of air interdiction operation at terrorists hide out in Kaduna and Zamfara States that inflated casualties on the terrorists. Notably, on 31 December 2022, a well planned and coordinated air interdiction operation was carried out at identified notorious and wanted terrorist kingpin, Dankarami hideout along Kaura Namoda road in Zurmi Local Government Area of Zamfara State. Following the airstrike, feedback revealed that several of his foot soldiers were eliminated while Dankarami himself escaped with serious injuries.
SOUTH SOUTH ZONE
- Troops in Joint Task Force, operation DELTA SAFE in the South South Zone of the country have continued the war against oil theft and illegal refineries and other criminal activities in the Niger Delta region through aggressive and increased tempo in raids and clearance operations as well as patrol amongst other activities. Accordingly, the land, maritime and air component of the Operation DELTA SAFE conducted operational activities at the creeks, waterways, high sea, towns, cities of Bayelsa, Delta and River State to checkmate the activities of criminal elements and deny them freedom of action. Consequently, troops of Operation DELTA SAFE in the conduct of Operation OCTOPUS GRIP and other operations discovered and destroyed several illegal refining sites, equipment’s and petroleum products as well as apprehended some suspected criminals.
- Cumulatively, within the weeks in focus troops discovered as destroyed several illegal refining sites, 1,075 cooking ovens, 343 storage tanks, 154 dugout pits and 28 wooden boats. Troops also recovered 2 barge, 7 tankers, 56 cars, 12 pumping machines, 1 outboard engine, 1 speedboat, 1 tug boat, 7 motorcycles and 1 tricycle. Additionally, troops equally recovered 854,500 litres of crude oil, 1,055,000 litres of Automotive Gas Oil and 2,000 litres of Dual Purpose Kerosine, 1 AK47 rifle while 19 suspected economic saboteurs were also arrested. All recovered items and apprehended suspects have been handed over to the appropriate authority for further action. It is worth mentoring that the sum of Eight Hundred and Ten Million, Nine Hundred and Fifty Seven Thousand Four Hundred and Seventy Five Thousand Naira (810,957,475.00) only were denied oil thieves.
- Equally, the air component of Operation DELTA SAFE conducted air interdiction operation over Okomabio, identified as illegal refining site which was observed to be active with white and blue coloured makeshift tents. Consequently, the location was targeted and bombarded with several illegal refining equipment destroyed thereby deterring oil thieves from operating within the Niger Delta region of the country.
SOUTH EAST ZONE
- Troops and other security agents have sustained the offensive against the activities of the outlawed Indigenous People of Biafra/Eastern Security Network criminals in the South East zone of the Country. In furtherance to this, troops conducted operational activities in villages, forests, towns and cities of Abia, Anambra, Ebonyi, Enugu and Imo States geared towards restoring peace and normalcy to the region. Notably, on 25 December 2022, troops in conjunction with other security agents raided a suspected Indigenous People of Biafra camp at Obowo and Aboh Mbiase Local Government Area in Imo State, however, the criminals fled on sighting the troops. Troops exploited the general area and recovered 1 locally made RPG tube, 3 locally made RPG bombs, 2 AK47 rifles, 2 pump action guns, 30 rounds of 7.62mm special, 58 rounds of MK2 ammo, 9 canisters, 2 AK47 magazines, 2 pump actions cartridges, 1 locally made pistol, 1 dane gun, 3 pairs of combat boots, 11 vests, 2 vehicles and 7 mobile phones among other items.
- Furthermore, on 31 December 2022, troops had and encounter with the Indigenous People of Biafra/Eastern Security Network criminals at their checkpoint along Owerri Orlu road in Mbatoli Local Government Area of Imo State. Following the encounter, troops neutralized 5 of criminals and recovered 2 AK47 rifles, 20 rounds of 7.62mm NATO, 3 dynamites, 4 AK47 magazines, 2 FN magazine and 2 vehicles among other items. Also, on the same day, troops acted on credible information on the convergence of Indigenous People of Biafra/Eastern Security Network criminals and raided a hotel along Okigwe-Umahia in Okigwe Local Government Area of Imo State and arrested 16 suspected criminals. Troops searched the general area and recovered 2 locally made pump action guns, 2 locally made pistol, 1 brownie pistol, 2 MK2 magazines and other sundry items.
- Consequently, within the weeks in review, troops recovered 4 AK47 rifles, 3 dane guns, 2 pump action guns, 1 double barrel rifle, 2 locally made pistols, 1 RPG tube 3 locally made RPG bombs with tubes, 6 AK47 magazines, 3 FN magazines, 2 MK2 magazines, 55 rounds of MK2 ammunition, 20 rounds of 7.62mm NATO and 43 rounds of 7.62mm special. Other items recovered include 11 vest, 3 pairs of combat boots, 9 canisters, 3 dynamites, boafeng radio, 7 Eastern Security Network vest, 9 mobile phones and 3 vehicles among other items. Troops also neutralized 7 Indigenous People of Biafra/Eastern Security Network criminals and arrested 6. All recovered items and apprehended suspects were handed over to the relevant authority for further action.
- On a final note, I wish to once again convey the military high command commendations on troops efforts in the various theatres of operations across the nation. The media community is also acknowledged for their partnership and continued cooperation with the military and other security agencies, in our quest to restore peace and security to our dear Country. Also, the entire populace is hereby appreciated, for the support given to the Armed Forces and other security agencies in the conduct of our various operations across the country, while also urging them to continue to provide prompt and creditable information on the activities of terrorists and other criminal elements, in their respective areas.
Thank you all for your attention and GOD bless.
12 January 2023 Defence Media Operations